Homemade Coconut Milk
This is by far the best way to drink coconut milk. There are a few ways to make coconut milk, so I played around with a few tips from different recipes to make a recipe to my liking. Feel free to experiment and do the same. You’ll find you can play with the consistency to make something you will enjoy. An easy way to make coconut milk would be to use unsweetened shredded coconut. However, I find that using fresh coconut meat makes the world of difference in taste. After making it this way, I grew a healthy respect for the pricey coconut milk I buy from my favorite juice place. Tip: When picking your mature coconuts, shake them to make sure you hear there is water inside. If you can’t hear anything, that means it is no good.
- 2 cups fresh coconut meat (note: 1 coconut makes about 1 cup meat)
- 2 cups hot water (not boiling, water that is too hot will kill nutrients)
- Crack your coconuts open and remove meat.
- Cut the meat into cubes for an easy blend. There will be a layer of brown shell on the meat. I’m a bit of a profectionist so I like to take that off. Some people don’t. The choice is yours.
- Blend 2 cups coconut meat with hot water for about 45 seconds. Let sit and steep for about 10 minutes.
- Strain everything in the blender into a bowl. You may also use a cheese cloth although it catches all the healthy oils. I prefer to use a regular colander.
- Bottle up, refrigerate, and enjoy!
- Repeat steps 3-4 with the same coconut meat. I only do this two times through as it begins to water down the more you process it.
*Homemade Chocolate Cacao Coconut milk is the bomb!